Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Memory Game

     Recently, while on a call with my boss, he commented to me that it seems like I have the potential for a great memory but am always so busy that my memory is actually only fair. He went on to say that while I am great at my job he can only imagine what a super star I could be if I didn't have a million other things on my mind at any given moment. Not really what you want to hear from your new boss (although, I do believe he meant it as a compliment, or maybe I just hope he did)! Ever since that conversation, I have been thinking about what my brain can hold and what is reasonably fair to expect of it.
     Here's the thing, I am constantly on the go. I am always rushing to be someplace and to get something done. There is nothing worse to me than finishing one errand with 10 minutes to spare until the next thing on my list, because I hate wasted time. I will inevitably try to cram something into that 10 minutes and then frantically be rushing to the next stop.
     I am always balancing a million things at once. There's work, and 3 kids, endless therapy and doctors appointments, school and camp bags to pack, a bus to make, dinner to prepare and a million other things in between in any given day that I can't even remember right now. I am sure many of you know exactly what I am talking about.
    I am constantly telling my husband that I am a multi-tasker while he can only do one thing at a time (and sometimes just barely one). His response is always the same,"yes you can do many things but how many of them are you doing completely."
     The truth is I think that is a fair question. What's the right answer? To always be doing a million things but never actually being able to devote yourself entirely to each of them or to focus on one thing at a time and never get everything done?
     I am not really sure what the answer is but at least now you may understand better why I sometimes repeat the same stories to the same people and never seem to remember who I have already told what to. Why I call you but can't for the life of me remember why when you call me back, why my kids eat more processed food than they should and get forgotten at school and most of all why I always have a cup of coffee in my hand, it's my version of speed!

1 comment:

  1. Try managing 3 fantasy teams at once...

    ReplyDelete