Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Kindness Of Others?

     I originally sat down to write my Blog last night (Tuesday). I was going to start off by saying that I am sure by now most of you have seen the amazing video of our son and his incredible experience with Fedex. I was going to expound upon the kindness of strangers and talk about the countless people we encounter all the time, who show considerable kindness to him. I was going to list all the mailmen who let him deliver the mail with them, even though he can be quite disruptive and annoying; Who bring him official USPS hats and let him carry their mail bags. I was going to mention the school bus driver at his school, Mr. Tinsley, who lets him climb on the bus each and every morning and afternoon and touch the school bus patch on his jacket, who knows him by name and makes him smile everyday. I was going to go on and on about how amazing it was that each of the Fedex employees in that video came to work on a Sunday to make a little boys dream come true. I was going to tell everyone how lucky we have been to have met so many amazing people who have contributed to his happiness.
     But then I saw todays news and I thought to myself: here I have been thinking about how amazing so many people can be and look at the horrors that others can perpetrate. So instead of thinking about how wonderful people are, I have spent all day thinking of how terrible they can be.
     My mind can not help but see that little boys beautiful face. I can not stop thinking about those parents whose lives are irrevocably changed, who will never again get to hug or kiss their son, who from now on instead of seeing his smile have to imagine the horrors he lived through before he died. The pain that one horrible person can inflict somehow seems to obliterate the kindness of so many others.
     Today, instead of smiling at the UPS driver passing by, I made sure to talk to my children about stranger danger. We told them never to speak with them, no matter what they say or do never go any where with them, don't accept candy from them. Simply put, do not even look at them.
     As I sit tonight and think about it all, I truly want to believe that the incredible and amazing kindness that we have seen, that has been demonstrated to our son, is what is real. That the world is actually full of goodness and amazement. It is filled with everyday people who do extraordinary things. That the place where we are raising our children is a safe and happy place to be. I hope this is true, because I would very much like to be able to believe it myself.

In case you haven't seen the movie, here is the link (it will make you smile): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qJPo4YoG0

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it will prove to be consolation per se, but if it offers you any comfort, my day went just the opposite. I spent so much of today obsessing over the brutality of what happened in Brooklyn (as I feebly tried to get some work done in a field that feels oh-so-trivial under the circumstances) and then I happened upon the video of Yonatan and the FedEx people and that brought a much needed smile to my face. So thanks for sharing and congrats on the blog -- I think you just earned yourself another reader! -- Elie L.

    ReplyDelete